One of the ways we earn money is by doing virtual assistant work. When I first heard of being a virtual assistant, I had no idea how to begin. There are sites offering free training for virtual assistants.
I purchased a course called 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success. Since I took the course, the price has gone up to $397.00. It’s a great course and I learned a lot. But, when you’re on a tight budget, it’s a lot of money! I’m not going to guarantee that you can find all the great stuff Gina has packed into this course in one spot. But if you are willing to take the time, there is a lot of great information out there for free.
Virtual Assistance as a career
Virtual assistance as a career has grown by leaps and bounds in recent years. There is an increasing number of companies that now rely on Virtual Assistants. At one time, VA’s were only able to help in the day to day tasks of a business. Now they are now considered experts in their field.
This means the VA industry has become a competitive market. One way to keep up with the growing market is to evolve as a knowledgeable Virtual Assistant. One who has the skills and the certification to prove it.
Fortunately, there are many free training for Virtual Assistants offered online. Here’s a list of 25 websites offering free resources. As a Virtual Assistant, you have to be at par with what’s going on in everything digital marketing. There is no better way to learn them than by learning it from the pros.
Places to learn SEO, Social Media, and other things
- Google Online Marketing Challenge is a tutorial that offers courses and modules. They cover digital and search engine marketing. They also have searched and display advertising campaigns via mobile, social media, and video, as well as for analytics. Google AdWords Certification is also available. Especially if you aim to excel in the digital marketing niche.
- Hubspot Academy offers the following courses for free to everyone: Inbound (marketing methodology) Certification, Email Marketing Certification, Inbound Sales Certification, HubSpot Design Certification.
- Quicksprout University offers beginner, intermediate and advanced courses. Courses on SEO, Link Building, Content Marketing, Paid Advertising, and Social Media. They also have courses on Email Marketing, Reputation Management, and Conversion Optimization. All presentations are on video.
- Search Engine Journal is an authoritative site with heaps of articles about how to make the most of SEO, content marketing, social media, and paid search. They have a FREE e-book – Search Engine Journal Whitepaper: “What Works in Content Marketing: Case Studies & Tools for Success” that will assist VAs in their search for the best practices in content marketing.
- Moz SEO for beginners is a ten chapter module that covers everything a beginner asks. Questions like “how search engine operates”, “why search engine marketing is necessary”, “keyword search”, “usability, experience and content”, “search engine tools”, and “how to measure and track success”.
- Social Media Quickstarter combines email marketing with social media marketing through its modules: Facebook 101, Twitter 101, LinkedIn 101, Pinterest 101, Instagram 101, Google+ 101, YouTube 101, Snapchat 101, and Blogging 101.
- An Internet Marketing Education in 16 Ebooks and 20 Emails is a tutorial that outlines a smart way to combine social media, content marketing, and SEO for optimal lead generation. Sign up for free to get started.
- YouTube/Video Marketing teaches VAs to make the most of YouTube as a marketing tool. The FREE 5-part series of videos is a walk-through that helps create customers out of viewers.
- e- Marketing Institute offers online courses such as digital marketing, search engine marketing, SEO, social media marketing and web analytics. All these are FREE with certification.
- PPC University by WordStream offers a free course on Pay-per-click advertising 101. Learn the basics of PPC such as What is PPC? Keywords? Click-through rates? Quality Score? and everything you need to know to have a clear overview of what PPC is.
- Class Central offers “35 Free Digital Marketing Courses to Upgrade Your Marketing Skills”. This is a list of top-rated courses on marketing, which were discovered by Class Central and are taught by the world’s best universities. This will help VAs be up-to-date with marketing trends and hone their skills in the growing online marketing platform.
- RACE Digital Marketing Plan is an e-learning module that helps you create a fully structured digital marketing plan complete with budget, objectives and evaluation guides to improve digital marketing results. The basic or free membership gives you access to templates that will aid you in creating actionable plans to take your marketing to the next level.
- Alison is a worldwide learning community offering free online courses that are standards-based and certified. The lessons range from Technical resources, Publishing courses, Analytics classes, as well as Sales, Operations and Marketing classes.
- Udemy offers more than 40,000 courses conducted by experts in their field. Udemy students can learn and earn certificates at their own pace on any device. They offer free courses for Python, Java and Microsoft programs. Sign up to their newsletter and receive updates on their promos where you can get up to 70% discounts (maybe more) on paid courses.
- Coursera aims for its students to learn better and faster, and designed their teaching methods with these four key ideas: Online Learning, Mastery Learning, Peer Assessments, and Blended Learning. Students can learn at their own schedule and earn certificates for their course.
- FutureLearn offers hundreds of free flexible online course programs from universities worldwide. While learning from a leading university or organization, students can earn academic credit or even professional accreditation.
- Iversity is a personalized learning platform for professional development and higher education. A varied range of courses focuses on growing a business with digital analytics, digital marketing plan, and many more.
- E-marketing Institute offers free online courses. These range from digital marketing, SEO, web analytics, search engine marketing, and social media marketing.
This is a no-brainer. As a Virtual Assistant, you should be very adept at Microsoft Office. If you’re not or would want to learn more, here are 2 sites for you to check out:
- GFC Learn Free offers everything for free. All 125 modules from Microsoft Office classes to android and technology basics, social media and cloud use, digital photography and graphics, are all free. Don’t you just love them?
- MS Excel video tutorials are created to assist VAs in everything Excel. The FREE tutorials include financial planning analysis, functions and formulas, checking and monitoring and many more.
Website Design and Coding
Now, let’s get techie. If you find time to focus on studying techie stuff, you’ll eventually be a techie. In other words, don’t be afraid. However, there will be lots of trial and error. Good thing, these courses can help you set up the basic foundation of your techie skills:
- CodeAcademy offers complete web development education. You can learn specific web development skills, language skills, and more.
- WordPress 101 by WPBeginner is FREE a video tutorial on how to create and manage a website using WordPress as a platform. Just create an account to view the videos.
- Joomla 101 allows you to learn to use Joomla quick and easy for FREE. Learn to design and manage Joomla web sites properly with their short video tutorials.
- Podcast course by John Lee Dumas are free on YouTube. It consists of 19 videos ranging from 3 to 20 minutes in length. It covers beginner’s podcasting, how to succeed, ways to fail, how to monetize podcasts, and more.
- Free Code Camp is a nonprofit organization that teaches you how to code for free. You can earn each certification by completing its 5 final projects. It is 100% free although you are welcome to make donations.
Creating clean, professional-looking images is a must. So jump right in and learn about design basics from:
- HackDesign gives weekly lessons. They will help you get confidence in using typography, color combinations, and designs. Designs for multiple platforms including web, mobile, and iPhone apps, among many others.
Tip: It is inevitable that VAs would have to learn a new tool or two as a part of their daily tasks. Fortunately, learning new software would not be a problem. Chances are, the software’s website offers FAQs, support and free basic training. In other words, training on how to use their product, so make sure to check on their site first.
- Camtasia offers free video tutorials to familiarize clients with the basics. It offers 30 minutes of video presentations via screencast or Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Infusionsoft offers many tutorials on customer relationship management. These range from e-mail marketing to lead capture and e-commerce.
However, don’t forget to sharpen your skills in writing because this will comprise 50% of your work.
- Copywriting 101 by CopyBlogger will teach you how to write a compelling copy. They do this by introducing you to the basics of copywriting. Even if you don’t plan on being a copywriter, it is always a good strategy to learn. Learning the right words that will make people want to take action will help you down the road.
Do you know any other sources for free training for Virtual Assistants? Feel free to share them in the comment section below! In conclusion, there are plenty of sites that will give you free training to become a virtual assistant.